Catherine P. Koshland is the Vice Chancellor for Undergraduate Education at the University of California, Berkeley, and the Wood-Calvert Professor in Engineering. She is a professor of Environmental Health Sciences in the School of Public Health and a professor in the Energy and Resources Group. Professor Koshland graduated with a B.A. in Fine Arts from Haverford College, studied painting at the New York School of Drawing, Painting and Sculpture, and received her M.S. in 1978 and her Ph.D. in 1985 in Mechanical Engineering from Stanford University. She was a former member of the Haverford College Board of Managers from 1994 – 2014 and served as Board Co-Chair from 2005 – 2009 and Chair from 2009 to 2014.
Among Vice Chancellor Koshland’s responsibilities are major operating units including University Extension; Summer Sessions, Study Abroad and Lifelong Learning; the Student Learning Center, the Athletic Study Center, The Center for Teaching and Learning, and Educational Technology Services, American Cultures, The BLUM Center and Berkeley Connect. Her office has responsibility for several strategic academic initiatives as well as providing support to faculty development in teaching and learning. In addition, her office advises on enrollment planning and management, and serves as a liaison for academic units with many campus administrative offices. She co-chairs the Undergraduate Initiative with Provost Claude Steele.
- Shaw, SD, Blum, A, Weber, R, Kannan, K, Rich, D, Lucas, D, Koshalnd, CP, Dobraca, D, Hanson, S, and Birnbaum, LS (2010) Halogenated flame Retardants: Do Fire Safety Benefits Justify the Risks? Review on Environmental Health 25 (4).
- Holder AL, Carter, BJ, Goth-Goldstein, R, Lucas D, and Koshland CP (2011). Increased Cytotoxicity of Oxidized Flame Soot. Atmospheric Pollution Research. 3 (1), doi: 10.5094/APR.2012.001. *Published online in April 2012.
- Amara L. Holder, Goth-Goldstein, Regina, Lucas, Donald, and Koshland, Catherine (2012) Particle-induced artifacts in the MTT and LDH viability assays. Chemical Research in Toxicology. 1885–1892.
- James, JZ, Donald, L, Koshland, CP (2012) Gold Nanoparticle films as Sensitive and Reusable Elemental
Mercury Sensors. Enviromental Science & Technology. 46 (17), 9557-62. doi: 10.1021/es3005656. PMID: 22871115
- Crosby J, Lucas D, Koshland CP (2013). Fiber Optic Based Evanescent Wave Sensor for the Detection of Elemental Mercury Utilizing Gold Nanorods. Sensors & Actuators: B Chemical. May 2013.
- James, JZ, Lucas D, Koshland CP (2013). Elemental mercury vapor interaction with individual gold nanorods. Analyst. April 2013.
- Crosby, J. S., James, J. Z., Lucas, D., & Koshland, C. P. (2014). Determination of total mercury concentration in aqueous samples with gold nanoparticles. Analytical Methods, 6(4), 1254-1260.